Stamford, NY www.audiosears.com
Company Profile: AudioSears, Inc., of Stamford employs about 90 people and manufactures high quality telecommunications equipment. For more than 50 years, the family-owned company has gained recognition as a leading domestic manufacturer of custom and standard handsets, headsets, and component parts for most telecommunications applications.
Situation: AudioSears faced increased competition and lost several key customers because it lacked focus to meet the challenge. Manufacturing performance was lagging and business practices were outdated. Production processes were not standardized nor documented.
Solution: AudioSears and AM&T developed a strategic plan to improve marketing & sales, quality system, and production, including LEAN methods and an ISO 9001:2000 compliant quality management system.
AM&T and AudioSears identified three primary areas of focus:
• Marketing -- Marketing to new customers was infrequent and marketing processes were poorly defined. AM&T helped AudioSears create a business development plan, define marketing and sales processes, train sales personnel, create marketing materials, and explore different approaches.
• Machining and Assembly -- Manufacturing was organized for batch production. AM&T helped AudioSears apply LEAN methods to improve organization, reduce set-up times, eliminate bottlenecks, and shorten the material flow.
• Quality Systems -- The quality system at AudioSears depended on multiple inspections during manufacturing; documentation was outdated. AM&T assisted AudioSears in adopting an ISO 9001:2000 quality system and beginning the ISO certification process.
- Added 83 new customers in 2008.
- Reduced lead time 40 percent.
- Improved on-time delivery 80 percent.
- Increased First Pass yield to 99 percent from 97 percent